Adullams Cave

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The he said, she said bible game

There is a lot of this being played these days, especially on the internet. I've been known to indulge in a hand or two of "you show me your verse, I'll show you mine", myself.

It reminds me of a story of a husband and wife sitting at their table one day with three guests. The husband suddenly gets up and announces that he is off to play golf. The wife smiles and says nothing and off the man goes out the door. Later when the three guests leave they have a discussion about why the man got up and suddenly announced he was off to play golf. The first guest, a sports enthusiast himself, said that he could relate to the sudden urge to play sport and thought there was nothing strange about it. The second man, a religious man of habit, said that the man, no doubt, played golf at this time every week. The third person, a cynical woman who had been betrayed by an unfaithful husband, concluded that the husband was not off to play golf at all but to see his mistress.

Later that day when the husband returned his wife asked him how his golf was. He replied “Good darling, I knew you wouldn't mind me leaving so suddenly, I can't stand those people and I had to get away.” The wife replied smiling, “Of course sweetheart, I understood perfectly.”

If it seems elusive, the point is simply that the way a person interprets the words of another can be largely subjective to who and what type of person the listener is or even what stage of life they are at or, and this is the most important part, what level of closeness does the listener have with the person speaking. The wife understood completely what the true meaning of her husband's words were because she knew him intimately. She slept and breathed alongside him. She understood his tones and words and gestures because they shared a love deeper than any bond. Of course, she is not going to turn around and tell her guests that the husband doesn't like any of them, that would be rude. But she knew what her husband was saying because the message he sent was really for her.

Jesus said, 'My sheep know my voice.' He also spoke to Pharisees Inc. who were the religious bible bloggers, squabblers and fat controllers of the day, saying; “You search the scriptures because in them you think have eternal life but you will not come to me of whom the scriptures speak.” See these guys sat around all day arguing about tithing the crap from gnat's bums and debating endlessly about what the acceptable scriptural proportions of a stone used for throwing at slutty women were. You know, which verse applied where and to who and for what....blah, blah blah, etc, etc. In reality, the scriptures can be mixed or unmixed to paint any picture. In truth though, the one picture it was intended to paint, for the one who it was intended for is of Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, drawn for his betrothed wife, with this message, “I love you, I died to make you mine forever, I'll be back in a while to pick you up.” The wife understands the message perfectly. As for the others standing by, interpreting the message in all manner of weird and wild ways, well, they don't really matter too much, every wedding needs guests and bridesmaids and people to do practical stuff. I am sure that with our tongues firmly stuck in our cheeks we will find plenty of things for them to do on the big day...:) For me, I wanna get as close as I can to the wonder upon wonders, the one who poured out his blood to sweep me off my feet, my groom, my hero, my Jesus.

11 Comments:

At 3:13 AM, Blogger BruceD said...

Good points, my friend. I find myself often asking in regard to people's blogs, "why is this so important to them, when it all seems so irrelevant?" I am learning that we think differently as we experience the stages of our journey. Throw into the mix, that we're, for large part, a product of our experiences and circumstances, and surely we will see everything differently than someone else.

Oh well, I really just wanted to be the first one to post on your new blog!

Blessings!!

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Simon said...

Thanks Bruce for commenting. I will frame it...he,he. You are very right about us humans seeing things differently, according to experience and background and stage of the journey etc. When I first met the Lord in a conscious way he was the judge. Many years down the track he has become such a friend and intimate being that I even forget he is also God sometimes...lol. My first post was not really about blogs but sprang out of some very intense debates in the last week or so that have gone on in a Jewish messianic chat/post that I am a part of (I have a thing for jewish people and Israeli's ). In the end, after many, many verses being exchanged, accompanied by some heated moments, I wondered whether any of it was any use at all. I decided in the end that it is all good..:)

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Tom Reindl said...

Welcome to blogging, Simon. That was a really nice post, too. It makes a lot of sense, and you described the fine point of the relationship as well as I have heard it explained. See you around. :)

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Eudoxia, a lover of the Lord said...

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, there's just something about that name...
I agree, brother, give me the one, the only, the total, the all, the all in all, and leave the verses, the arguments, the debates. I want to live solely for Him, as He did for me.

Thank you for taking the initiative to set your thoughts to print.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger SteveW said...

Yea Simon, I know the feeling too of the futility of debating. Maybe we just hope that we can help them to reduce it all to it's lowest (or should I say Highest) common denominator...Jesus.

That is a really funny name for your dog....poor fellow.

From one bum to another welcome to blogdom. Look forward to sharing our hearts across the vast body of water.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Paulo said...

Just wanted you to know I'm following all you guys and now Simon too. Your post on BruceD's site made me realize I felt that way too, but couldn't be so sure to say them. I'm still involved in a church where much of what you guys write is heresy so am always trying to see all sides of things, which is my nature anyway. I've been changed by the love of Jesus since an amazing encounter a few weeks ago that basically brought his majesty into my being in all its glory and havent' been the same since. What's changed is I now aware of how great He is In me and its so far beyond even what I thought was important before,which was heading in that more liberated direction. He just gets bigger and bigger.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Paulo said...

Just wanted to add besides pardon my careless grammar that it's so amazing that we have the internet to link with people of like mind. I really appreciate you guys and realize how much of a lifeline you are to me.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Thanks everyone for visiting me and commenting. I feel welcomed and I appreciate that lots.

Hey Paulo...I spent 20 years in the institutionilised church and I thank God for every minute of it. Now I am searching and hoping for something different and more real and more exactly Jesus.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Bar Bar A said...

Excellent point, thanks for sharing this story!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Simon said...

jjjjjjj

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger answer-man said...

enjoyed your blog, we are introducing our New Updated Dvd Bible Site **www.BibleMediaDvd.Com** and thought you might enjoy all the new features of the King James Version, New Living Translation Version on Dvd and also have a free offering of a Children's Bible Story CD for the lowest prices now of $29.95. Stop by and check out the Free Demo. Thank you for your time and Have a Great Day.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home