Adullams Cave

Friday, February 17, 2006

Wrestling with Dogma

Actually the dog in the photo below belongs to my friend Michael. He is a man who loves Jesus insanely and turned his back on religion and the world. Here is a quote from a letter he wrote to me from prison quite some time ago (He is free now and happily living with his wife and dog-ma).

"I have realised I can love. I am not required to do anything else. Anymore requirements are an afront to the cross! The religous amongst us have lowered the bar, while thinking they have made it higher, by turning freedom into a doctrine. They have stolen the prize from the cross and given it to the enemy who captivates those with weak faith. That is why it is the 'church' or 'christianity' who always persecute those who really are free. My advice to you is this, put the bible away and follow your heart."

He, he.... what a guy. Actually there was a very long season where I had put the bible away and learned to listen and follow my heart. This was and continues to be the most profound and life altering experience as far as my walk with the Lord goes. I needed my experience with the Lord to be solid and real without the scriptural words that I was using to either condemn or approve of myself. The bible had become for me this book that I measured myself against constantly until all life was drained from me and I could no longer bear it. Now I still measure myself but rather than using the bible, I measure myself against the cross. The cross is the moment and event for which and to which every jot and tittle of the bible points to. The cross is my mirror. In it I see myself small and forgiven, tall and loving, big and important, loved and unafraid, a child with his friend, a boy with his big brother, a son with his father, an intimate lover....

I read the bible now happily, understanding it and using it as a useful tool to explain his love, light and forgiveness to others. I reject the thoughts that my old self-accusatory nature occasionally likes to yank out of the closet. I sit and stand, half bewildered and half in awe of "what manner of love the father has given to us..."

6 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger SteveW said...

Nice. Glad to hear your friend is out of the slammer.

And I am too learning to relate to Dad through the Word rather than the word.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Bar Bar A said...

Simon,

I am so glad you started a blog so more of us can hear your thoughts.

This was very intresting to me since I have never intentionally not read my Bible for the reasons you have mentioned, but I do measure myself by it. It's a challening and interesting idea...I'm going to think more about this.

I will add you to my links on 2 Cor. 12:9, if you'd like!!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Bar Bar A said...

P.S. That is one huge dog!!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Hey Barbara...Thanks for visiting me and also encouraging me to start a blog. Your welcome to ad my link to your page. I will come and visit soon too. I am getting around to all the blogs that bruce and steve have introduced me to and am still working things out. I will be sure to add your link also...:)

Ya it is a big dog, a rottweiller but although it has knocked me over a few times it is as placid as a dog can possibly be. It loves to play.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger BruceD said...

Isn't it amazing how everything changes when revelation comes? Even the words of the book we've become so familiar with... everything changes...

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Paulo said...

That message speaks to the need for simplicity in tandem with a growing trust in what God is doing in us and also a breaking out of the box.
I just had one of those 'change everything' moments this morning, courtesy of the Holy Spirit. It was so quick and powerful, almost as if God showing me how one drop of Him could make all the difference. One drop, one instant, brought me guidance, reinforced truth and satisfied my deepest longings.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home